The Artist and The Audiance
You know, I have always had this opinion that artistic performances are kind of like making love. You are both there, you and the performers, for a visceral experience, and your vibes feed off of each other. Around the forth of July, I went to a performance by the Academy of Vocal Arts in Rittenhouse Square. A guy sang “O soave fanciulla”, and I swear to God that I was captivated. I seriously thought afterwards that if I was a Gay man, I would so fuck him.
So last night I went to see a play that was put on by a local Theater company that I am friends with. It so rocked. The use of Puppets and music and the creation of the staging before your eyes was just breathtaking. It was a folktale, meant for families, so it was just a fun experience. The puppets came alive.
I was actually hanging out later that night with some of the cast and the writer. They actually told me that when they were in rehearsal that the Director actually started giving directions to the puppets. It wasn’t on purpose. It was just that the puppets had a life of their own.
They were talking about all kinds of changes that they could make. So I asked them if the added saying that no performance is the same is true, and they said that it totally was. It was fun, because I got to see that whole process in front of my eyes. I was so glad to see this performance, and they were so glad that I came. It’s that whole relationship just taking shape.
And they talked about the relationship with the audience in this show and in past shows. They talked about how they wanted to create better responses and how they perceived people’s reactions. So at that moment, I found out that my theory is true. There really is a vibe between the artists and the audience. They really are expecting something from us. I only hope that they can give me what I want and I can give them what they want. Maybe we can have an artistic simultaneous orgasm.

2 Comments:
dude..I think that's awsome.. I want to talk to Puppets!!!
:)
Last puppet production i saw was "Avenue Q".. and b4 that..i think it was "The Muppets Take Manhattan" :)
Puppets are cool.. unlike Clowns. clowns SUCK!!!! And puppetters are cool too.
No man. Clowns rock. You ever see the movie Rize? Go rent it now! You ever been to Cirque Du Soleil? You ever seen anything by Bill Irwin? Clowns are cool too. You just have to find the right Clowns.
Post a Comment
<< Home