It's All Good

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Preaching to the Choir

So I have talked in the past about my intolerance towards people who were not like me. I talked specifically about some neighbors of mine. Now, let me preface this by saying that these are some of the kindest people that I have the privilege to know, and while we may not see eye to eye on Religion or politics, I deeply respect them and their beliefs, and I am glad to have them in my life.

OK, now that we have the disclaimer out the way, it’s time for me to rant. I love going over my neighbor’s house and hanging out. There is only one problem. They only play one type of music. I, in general, don’t really like to just hear one type of music. But it isn’t just that. The type of music that they listen to is boring and WASPY Christian music. I mean this stuff, which is supposed to have a happy message has a tone that is so depressing. At best, it makes you want to fall asleep.

I mean I’m no Christian scholar, but I have picked up a few buzz words over the past few years. The ones that I seem to here the most are salvation, freedom, liberty, gospel, and most of all good news. Those all seem like joyous words to me. I mean we are talking about the good news here. Shouldn’t the music be a little upbeat? If the news is so good, then why does it sound like their puppy just died? I mean if you are going to have music that is such a buzz killer, at least make it like Christian Death metal or something talking about what will happen to all of us wicked sinners when the world ends. I could even rock to that, and I know that a lot of my friends who are big fans of the Left Behind series would love it too. (Ok, I was joking about Left Behind).

I can understand that some people only want to hear music that has “positive” messages. I don’t agree, but I understand those who do. That being said, shouldn’t the music be good? I mean I can rock on to Jars of Clay and Third Day and some of the other so called “God Bands”, and I know people who are proud Atheists who can too. I went to my other friend’s Church, and the music was so powerful that this proud Agnostic couldn’t help but sing along. So shouldn’t the test really be the music? I mean if the Art is bad, then what the heck is the point? Will you get your message across, or will you, for lack of better words, wind up preaching to the choir?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home