A Raison In The Sun
Last week, I went to Live 8, which has got to be up there in the list of the coolest experiences of my life. Afterwards, I went to my friend’s 30th Birthday party, which was also cool. I got a ride home from a singer who I have scene before at a Cabaret act that my friend is involved in. We started talking about her career. I asked her about her goals and what her dreams were. She said that her dream was to bring her art to the masses and make a living as a musician. I have to say that I think that she is well on her way, and maybe someday, I can say that I knew her when.
Then, she put the question back at me. What are my dreams? And I hesitated and didn’t really know how to answer it. I want so much in life. I want to have a family. I want to have a wife who loves and supports me and can kick my ass intellectually. I want to walk in the room to my kids who yell Daddy and hug me, only to have my eyes light up like the Champs-Elysee at night. I want to travel the world. I want to be financially independent and be my own Boss. I want to be known as a good friend, a good father, a good son, a good man, and a good artist. I want it all. I don’t just want to be the Squirrel trying to get a nut.
And then I think back to all the dreams that I had. I remember wanting to be a firefighter, and Aeronautical Engineer, hell, even an Ichthyologist. I try not to have dreams or high aspirations, because our dreams are based on limited knowledge. I thought that I would be the next dot con (yes, con) Millionaire. Now, I’m just happy to get an OK job where I can code some badass shit.
So is it good to dream? I think so. I think we all need to dream, because if we don’t, then there is no progress in the world. But when do our dreams get in the way of progress? How do we stand firm in our goals, even in times of adversity, and know that we don’t have our heads up our asses? How do we deal with the fact that our dreams are an ever-changing target based on where we are and what we know? Should we give up? If so, then what happens to a dream deferred?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home