Job Dating
This whole job-hunting experience seems surprisingly familiar. And then, one day, it hit me. Job-hunting is pretty much isomorphic to dating. You put your resume out on Monster and all those sites, and you get a lot of hits from people. This is kind of like your first experiences getting a lot of numbers from girls at different places. You think that you have sealed the deal, as they say.
Then, the first date comes along, which is usually a first interview or a telephone screening from an HR guy, or maybe even an IT guy. You think to yourself, well, I fucking kicked ass on that date, so this chick will most likely want a second date, because we all know how money I am. Then, you wait by the phone, and each hour and each day, your self esteam gets lighter and lighter, until you give up.
Then there are the hookups. You know, the jobs that your friends try and get you. Now, like with a woman, the job gets props because your friend recommends it, but then again, you think to yourself, why shit where you eat? Why does my friend want to hook me up? Is it for me? Is it for them? Is it both? If I fuck up, then how much am I really fucking up? Just my situation, or our friendship?
Then there are those hotties. I had a phone interview with a really big name consulting firm, and it was like I met a chick who was hotter than the 9th ring of hell and liked John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Jean Luc Godard, August Wilson, and Woody Allen. You want to let your interest be known, but you don’t want to blow your load. Finding that happy medium is hard, because you can’t help but think about your sunny days ahead and all the romantic trips to Europe and Asia you will take with this hot chick on the dime of that hot company.
Then there are the head hunters. I guess, to keep the analogy alive, they are like matchmakers. I don’t believe in match makers, because most of them don’t have their own healthy love life, but want to give you advice. The same goes for Head Hunters. I swear to God that some of the messages that I got on my phone sounded like a cheesy used car ads.
Monday! Monday! Monday! All programming jobs must go. SQL Server, C#, VB.NET, you name it. Whatever it is that you think that you know, we have a job for you Give us a call at 215-555-JOBS, that’s 215-555-JOBS. All jobs must go!
Well, like dating, you have to know that this whole thing is a game, and games should be fun. Hey, I live at home, so my professional biological clock isn’t ticking. However, it would always be great to slide up into some hot software engineering job.

4 Comments:
So what exactly are you looking for in a relationship?
Something long term and meaningful?
Or something tawdry and quick?
The truth be told, it depends on the day. But whatever it is, it has to be meaningful and respectful, and I haven’t found a situation where that isn’t a long term relationship. I know that a long term relationship is best, but after all, I am still human and go through the normal set of thoughts that everyone goes through, whether they be helpful or not.
This post goes into it in come depth.
Did that make sense? What made you ask?
It was more of a double entendre' in regards to employment, actually....
.... "but after all, I am still human and go through the normal set of thoughts that everyone goes through, whether they be helpful or not."
Does that mean that you want a job that pays you lots of money (I think they called it "bling, bling" ((whatever the heck that is))in 'Look Who's Coming For Dinner'), where you only put in a couple hours of work a day, and you feel appreciated and meaningful for those few hours?
'Cause if you started drinking Budweiser, you'ld think you had found it....
HaHa, just kidding, had to throw that cheap shot in there....
My perfect job would be as a well paid hunting guide, with no clients :)
Yes, I know. Oxymoron. That's my point.
Well, actually in work I have a struggle too. There is part of me that would love to have a crazy high paying job no matter how intense, so I could save up a lot of money early in life. The other part of me doesn't care about money at all, or to an extent, and just wants to be apart of a place that feels like a family. Whatever it is, it needs to suit my long term goals.
And there are no perfect jobs. You will never get paid a lot of money for doing a little bit of work unless u put in a lot of the work beforehand. Just like I will never get the perfect women who is a 10, understands me completely, is low maintenance, has no issues, and has all the same interests that I do. You just have to find the right balance that fits your long term goals.
Post a Comment
<< Home