A Toast
Is there some law in life that says that once you think that you have the perfect social and professional network that everything will just come crashing down upon your head? Let’s see, my first real female friend is moving to Chicago for at least 3 years. My good techy Church Planter friends are moving back to Montana forever. My other friend is moving over an hour away to go have fun with crazy plants. I’m leaving my job with my one friend who also happens to be getting married in 6 months. And now, two couples who I have become friends with in the same social network are pregnant together. How incredibly fucked am I?
So people come into your life and they make you realize all these things about yourself, and now, you are happier, but now you have something to lose. Sure, you don’t lose your good friends, but over time you are less important to them, because they have to get on with their lives, and frankly, so do you.
I can’t help but feel a certain sense of loss in my life now, but I’m getting on with my life too. This will be the first time that I have been gainfully employed in my life. It will also be the first time that I wasn’t able to call my boss an assface. At least, not just yet. As they say, you take the bitter with the sweet. But the place that I’m going seems to have the goods. That great balance between business sense and creativity. A real formal development team that also doesn’t crawl up your ass every five seconds about namespaces. I didn’t know that places like that existed. Then again, maybe they don’t, but this will be an awesome ride.
Now with a new job comes new things. I’m going to move out of my parents’ house in the next few months, hopefully to a house that I own on my own. That will be a big step, one that most 25 year olds can’t say that they have taken. I bought a road bike and a trainer, and now it’s just me and the road. I don’t give a flying fuck about how my car looks, but one tiny scratch on my new Bike sends my in a frenzy.
So who knows what this next period in my life will bring me? But here’s a toast to growth and friendship. May all of my friends be successful in their new ventures, and may I find comfort in mine.

3 Comments:
You should just become a writer. I've never heard such a skillful useage of "assface." But seriously, great post. Honest and deep.
Good luck!
Howdy Charles!
Thought I would drop in and see how things are going.
Apparently well (or perhaps catastrophic!) as you have been too busy to post lately. Rumored that you are in the process of buying a house?
I have been to busy to post much as of late also..... make hay whilst the sun shines, ya know.
Post a Comment
<< Home