It's All Good

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Come Home, My Friend

So I’ve been thinking about the lives of some of my friends lately, and they are all doing very well. They are dating, getting married, having children, making career moves, finding new hobbies, finding new friends, and generally exploring life to the fullest. As a good friend, which I only hope I am, it really fills my heart with joy to see this. I am one of my friends’ biggest cheerleaders, as they are mine. That, of course, is the way it is supposed to be. By being selfless and having them do the same, the ironic happens; the selfish needs of everyone are met by selfless acts. It all comes full circle.

See, that is the ideal world. That’s how it should be. That’s what we all should aspire to be. But then there is the ugly human side that creeps through. It starts with envy. You see your older friends moving and shaking, and you get jealous. You are thinking, why can’t I have that? But what you don’t realize is that not only is the grass greener on the other side of the street, but your grass is still growing. You only see the result, but you don’t realize that the things that you are going through now are what they went through too. You don’t see the blood sweat and tears that once marked their faces. After all, you didn’t realize that they had just washed it away, leaving their face smooth and shiny, with the aid of those lovely poofy exfoliation thingies.

Then you feel like you are in competition with their success in life. It is hard enough getting the time that you so selfishly want on a normal day. Now you have to deal with these new factors. You feel like you are in competition with the new date, the new spouse, the new kid, the new job, the new hobby, the new friend, and the new life. You begin to, in those rare but ugly times, resent these new things.

Now that’s an ugly place, but it is a human place. It may be something that is very rare, but it is still very real. You feel happy, but that happiness does not come without its side effects. I think that everything in life is like that. It’s that whole equal and opposite reaction thing. If you get drunk, you will, my friend, get a hangover. If you eat too much good food at the restaurant, you will get “the itus” and want to go home and fall asleep.

Every time I go to Santo Domingo, the hangover of this inebriating experience comes in the ride to the Airport. You are in the car, driving on El Malecon, the beautiful road alongside the rocky beach. You see the palm trees, the crystal blue water splashing up against the rocks, the sun shining through the clouds, the fortes, the Cathedrals, the restaurants with their wonderful food, and the clubs with their neon signs and enchanting music. You are sitting there, in the car, holding back the tears, thinking, “Why the fuck am I going home?”

That’s life man. You have to face reality and deal with things. You have to face the ugly side of your life. You have to look at the smog, the crime, the traffic, the ignorance, the dirt, and the all and all daily grind in all their glory. You have to come my friend.

3 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to what your saying.
Yeah, their grass is really greener, but I forget that is because of all the shit that got dumped on it.

For me, it is a question of humility. If i seek to humble myself, only then can i rejoice with my neighbors. But I am not a humble man by nature (we are Cryders, are we not?), so I get jealous really quick, and jealousy leads to envy, envy to lust, lust to greed, greed to emptiness.

I daily struggle to be content with a little, rather than to be discontent with a lot. AND I MEAN STRUGGLE.

And balance works both ways. If I let it, I can have faith that the shit will someday produce a nice, lush turf.

And speaking of balance, ask Christian about my catapult experiance :) my poor wife is a saint!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Yes,s she is a saint. How did you launch "aunt Jen" 15 feet in the air?

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Physics, my lad, physics.

Think of it as a polar vector equation.

X axis is time, Y axis is elevation, and Z axis is force compounded through leverage (ratio of approx. 3:1, though not verified in the field).

As X progresses linearaly, Y advances along a nice parabolic curve, as Z increases through leverage until it's peak of approx. 1000 lbs. (again, not verified in the field),whereby it decreases to 0. When Z is at zero, Y is at the peak of the parabolic curve, which is anywhere between 15-20'(alas, this also was not verified in the field), and X has now reached approx. 2 seconds (nor was this verified in the field). Well, since nothing has been verified, our equation falls apart.....

The English version follows:

We were out getting rocks for Mothers Day, even though this was Saturday. I had discovered a little abandoned rock quarry up in the mountains, so we took our homemade trailor up there.

Now, when I say rocks, others would probably say boulders. These are to be pavers from our front porch to the sidewalk. BIG PAVERS. We quickly find a nice rock (red sandstone with layers of pink and white banded through it), but it is to heavy to carry over. So the two of us lift it up onto its edge and I roll it to the trailor, while Jenn steadys it.

Can't lift it up, so I un-hitch the trailor and lift the reciever up until the tailgate is now touching the ground. I then support the tongue of the trailor with my Hi-Lift jack.

We flop the rock onto the tail gate, I tie it up with a tow strap, and use a Come-Along to winch it into the trailor. Works great. We go and get two more rocks. The first one weighs about 250, and the next two weigh approx. 300- 350 apiece. Repeat the procedure, works great.

With the three rocks in the trailor, I winch them them so they are centered on the axle, and the tongue comes down when the Hi-Lift is removed, with a little help.

The winch is fully taken in, but I would like to move the rocks forward another two feet, so it rides better.

I have Jenn sit on the tipp of the tongue, while I reach over the bed rail and unhook the Come-Along. But I cannot reattach from over the bed rail. So, I go around to the tail gate, which is still down, and hop up.....

At this point, I need to explain a few things:

1)My wife is very petite.
2) I built my trailor with an extra long tongue, from Jenn to the axle is approx. 12 feet.
3)The rocks are no longer secured to anything.
4)I am not petite.
5)Jenn is not secured to anything.

So, when I jump up, Jenn slowly starts rising, and the rocks start sliding toward me, causing Jenn ascend faster, which causes the rocks to descend faster, etc.
I have just enough time to jump up, let the rocks slide underneath me, and land on them. I look up, and don't see Jenn. Then I see Jenn land next to the tongue, like in a Kung Fu movie. She is okay, I am okay, so I
ask "How high did you go?"

"I don't know, I was to busy worrying about the landing!"

Since the tongue is now @7 1/2 feet high at this point, and she was outside of my peripheral vision, we both feel it is accurate to say that she went at least 15' up, but deffinately no more than 20'.

Then it started to rain and hail. So we winched the first rock back in, tossed in a couple of smaller ones, hitched up the trailor, got out of dodge.

Our big rock is about 4' in dia., and 5" thick. i tlooks very pretty in front of our house.

Now we just need to make about 3 more trips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home