It's All Good

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Damned To Hell

I consider myself a total clutter bug. I think that anyone who knows me will attest to that fact. So walking around my room, kicking around stuff that should have been thrown away a long long time ago, I found an old test of mine from College. I must mention that I graduated 3 years ago, but I digress.

It took me forever to figure out which class this was from. It shows me how much I just learned to “past the test” sometimes. And I read it, not understanding what the hell I said, but it did sound profound. I guess that’s all that matters at the end of the day.

So my friend always says that if you want to make money, don’t go to school, create one. I mean how much of the bullshit that we “learn” in school do we actually retain? I would say that after 3 years in the “real world” that school teaches you to learn how to learn. This is a valuable skill, especially in my field, software engineering.

Then, I couldn’t help thinking, jokingly, about my friend who goes to Seminary to become a minister. I mean how much of this stuff does he really retain, with all the Greek and Hebrew and Jesus and Paul this and that? And then God said, bla bla bla, Israel, Jesus, bla bla bla, Nazareth, etc. I mean, I only do a program here and there, and here this guy is going to guide the spirituality of the future movers and shakers of our nation, or I can only hope. If he learns spirituality the way that I learned Math and Computer Science, then I think that we are probably all damned to hell.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

Hey, I resemble that guy! :-)

This is a great post Charles. I sometimes wonder the same thing - I remember _taking_ finals a couple of weeks ago ;-) It's a good thing salvation doesn't depend on me or my knowledge (or we'd all be in trouble).

Seriously though, it would be interesting to know how the brain works. I know in many cases, I feel like I am cramming things in there for the test, and then they quickly seem to disappear afterwards, only to suddenly re-emerge years later - and I think "where did THAT come from!". So its evidently in there even though I may think I've forgotten it.

The thinks that stick closest to surface, however, seem to be the things that we own most dearly with our hearts (not just our intellect).

Nice to see you posting...

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Charles said...

It's not just the things that we hold most dearly that we remember, but sometimes the things that we regret or the things that give us pain. Someone those things just never get lost in your brain. They just get tucked away and dormant, waiting to be called back to the front of your brain.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two bits:

If you are going to a school just so you can get a piece of paper just so you can get a job just so you make some money just so you can pay off your debt....
....then you are wasting your time.

Do you love love what you do, and do you do what you love?

Or as I tell my co-workers: If you are not having fun, then you are either doing the wrong job, or doing the job wrong. Which is it? Most often they say the former, when in truth it is the latter.

I went to college (5 years), almost graduated, and then I dropped out. Why?

Avocation.

I was jumping through hoops (school) to show people how good I was at jumping through hoops (employers). And hopefully, someone would be impressed enough to let me jump through their hoops and pat me on the head and maybe give me a biscuit (corporate life). I was very close to putting the collar on, but to quote Daman Wayans:

"Homey don't play that game."

To be continued....

Company just arrived!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home