MC Oliver!
I was channel surfing this mourning. Yes, I said this mourning. I haven’t been able to say that in a while, but I digress. So I came across MTV 2, and there was a video by one of these new Hip-Hop groups that brought their C game as usual nowadays. What captured my attention was that they were sampling the line “you’re going to love me” from the song “And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going” from the musical Dreamgirls. I was just wondering what is with this phenomenon of sampling hooks from Musical Theatre in Hip-Hop songs.
I think that the first one that I remember was a Reggae remake of “If I Were A Rich Man” from Fiddler On The Roof. It’s a pretty fun song, especially at parties. I must admit that. That remake has been done I think at least 3 times, including the new version by Gwen Stefani. I love you Gwen, but I think that you should stick to your roots, my dearest.
I think that Jay-Z took this thing to a whole new level. He first started by sampling “It's the Hard-Knock Life” from Annie. Then he sampled “I'd Do Anything” from Oliver!. It’s just so funny to see all this tough new wave Hip-Hop fans driving down the street, with spinning rims, their seat laid back with the TV on the headrest, pumping these songs at full blast. They love the hot little hooks that Jay-Z has given them. But, oh no my friend, that’s little orphan Annie and pickpocket Oliver. I’d pay a Million bucks to see the looks on their faces when some of these guys figure out that they have been head nodding to musicals, campy sentimental musicals at that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home