The McDonald’s Test
Today, I stopped by McDonald’s to get a quick bite to eat. This is something that I swore that I wouldn’t do after seeing Super Size Me, but I guess when you are in a hurry, it’s OK. This visit made me remember an old Economic theory I had. I call it the McDonald’s test. Here is how it goes. If you want to find out the Economic livelihood of a community, then stop by their local McDonald’s. How old are most of the people working there? Do they look like they are doing it to get extra money for Gas or that nice prom dress that they always wanted, or are they older? Not necessarily old, but old enough that they shouldn’t still be working at McDonalds. This test has seems to have stood the test of time during my short years on this earth.
It makes you think about people’s fate. Some people are destined to wear a three-piece suit to a well paying but crappy job at Innotech. Others are made to wear a uniform, weather it be at McDonalds or in Iraq. Is that good enough for the richest country in the world? I don’t think so, but maybe that’s why we are the richest country in the world. After all, someone has to pick up the garbage. Right? Is there a better way? I don’t know. I certainly hope so. It is food for thought though.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home