It's All Good

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Total Buzz Killer

So yesterday was a great day and night. I got my taxes done, took a bike ride, saw a great performance at the Kimmel Center, met up with an old friend, bumped into a few new friends, went to an after hours spot, and all that Jazz. Then, I decided to share a cab with a guy who is a complete stranger, because he was going the same place as me. Well, I’ll never do that again.

The guy was trying to act like I was going to stiff him. Then he started trying to grab at my wallet. Then he pushed me out the cab and stole my wallet. I’m totally fine and not even traumatized. I mean I lost my transpass and 20 bucks or something, but I’ll live. It’s just that is was a shitty ending to a totally perfect day. I hate that, because instead of basting in the glory of this great day, I’m going to be thinking about this douche bag robbing me.

The weird thing is that the Police couldn’t take me all the way home. They left me off about a mile and a half away. I guess that Cops get a lot of fake calls from drunk people trying to get a ride home, but it kind of pissed me off. And then I tried to catch the Bus, and the Bus driver wouldn’t let me on. I told him my wallet got stolen, and then he asked me if I had the two dollars. Hello Mcfly! My fucking wallet got stolen! Do you think that I would have the two bucks? So I walked home from there. I have done that walk before a few times, so it wasn’t a problem.

Calling the credit card companies to cancel your cards while you are drunk is definitely an experience. From what I gather, they must do this a lot, because they didn’t seem fazed at all, and the whole thing must have taken like 3 minutes. Verizon may suck, and dealing with the City about your Taxes is a bear, but the money fuckers have their shit together. At least there is still hope in the world.

8 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Sorry to hear about your stolen wallet, Charles.

Just a warning -- be careful about ID theft with your stolen wallet ... you'll be a LOT more upset with a LOT of companies if that guy starts using your identity for other things. (Been there, done that.)

Hope all's well!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Charles said...

I canceled the credit cards, as well as reported the MAC cards stolen and put a Credit alert out to the Credit Beuraus. I think that that is only for 90 days though, but I'll have to check into that.

Yeah, ID theft sucks, and I so don't want to let it happen to me. Anything else I should do?

Thanks for your kind words.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

Hey Charles, I've been thinking about your post, along with our conversation yesterday, and I've decided I have a question (and I feel kind of stupid even asking this, so bear with me).

I understand how the mugging thing would be a bummer.

But I'm not sure I understand how the get hammered part would be an enjoyable thing?

Now, I haven't ever been drunk (so obviously I don't have firsthand knowledge), but I also know a lot of non-Xians who wouldn't exactly see that as a rousing highlight.

What I mean here is that I knew lots of kids that thought it was great in highschool, but most of them kind of seemed to grow out of that as they got older (not all of them obviously).

So what I'm asking here is - can you tell me what it is that you like about being drunk, etc? I'm really asking this in all seriousness - I'm just wondering what it is that makes this appealing to you (when I hear a lot of people speak negatively about it - the hangovers the next day, embarrasment over the way they act when drunk, etc).

See, I feel like this is a really stupid question... :-(

But I really want to understand how you view it.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Well, when you get older, you either become better about it or worse, and I am the former. Basically there are all types of reasons that people drink. We were talking about this with Shane. Some drink to feel alive. Some drink for courage. That’s why they call it liquid courage. I’ve done it before for most of those reasons, but now it is just a mood enhancer. If you are together with people who you care about and have a few drinks, it can just make that experience that much better. Do you really think that when Jesus turned water into wine that those guys weren’t getting wasted?

So, basically, it’s a mood enhancer. But, of course, you have to be careful, because sometimes you enhance a mood that you shouldn’t. It’s like Bill Cosby had a routine about how he wondered why people do Cocaine (which I have never done and will never do). And the guy said, because it intensifies your personality. Then Cosby said, yeah, but what if you are an asshole?

So that’s it in a nutshell, but if you want to talk more on IM or over a cigar, we can.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Charles said...

It’s also a social lubricant. It is an easy way to get the ball rolling when you first meet people. You don’t know what to do, so it’s easy to say, hey, want to have a drink. And then you can find out about them, because people tend to be more open with a few drinks in them.

I try not to do this, or at least define the relationship other than drinking, because that’s all you will be is “drinking buddies”.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Pilgrim in Progress said...

Thanks, that was helpful. I agree that when Jesus made wine it was definitely "the good stuff" ;-), and you know as well as I do that I like good wine and beer. I just wondered about the whole "I want to get drunk" thing (cause that has never really appealed to me).

Thanks for not taking my question the wrong way...

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Molly said...

re: ID theft -- I don't know if there's anything else you should do. When someone stole my ID, it was with my SSN, and I had no idea how they got it -- but it was a nightmare for about 3 years (thank God, I think it might be behind me now).

The credit alert with the credit bureaus is a good idea. I'd recommend ordering a credit report from all 3 of them in about a year, just to be sure -- you can get a free one once a year.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Yup. You actually get two free ones with the alert, and then I can use my yearly free one, so I think I'll be OK. I have a report on file with the FTC ID Theft people, and all I have to do is get a reference number from the Police, assuming that they answer the phone any time soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home