Cabaret In Heaven
Those that know me know that I am sort of a Musical Theatre freak. Probably more than any Heterosexual male should be. I mean, when I’m drunk, don’t get me started on the show tunes. Naturally, when I hear one of the questions asked at the end of Inside the Actors Studio, I can’t help but think of Musical Theatre. The question is, “If God exists, what would you like to have him say as you arrive at the pearly gates?”
When I hear that question, I can’t help but think that I would love my welcome to Heaven, assuming that I got there, of course, to be a musical number. I am kind of imagining God as the MC from Cabaret doing the whole opening number, with angels as the Kit Kat girls. I mean wouldn’t it be so cool to just open those gates and see God in the full MC garb singing, “Willkomen, bienvenue, welcome, Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret.”
Then I couldn’t help but think about one of the coolest death scenes in all of film. It’s from the semi-autobiographical movie by the legendary Bob Fosse called All That Jazz. The scene of his death is marked by various musical numbers, culminating in a wonderful remake of the song “Bye Bye Love”, performed by Fosse master Ben Vereen. Every once and a while, there is this whole cool zapping sound, and whenever I hear them scan stuff at the best convenience store on earth, Wawa, I can’t help but think of this song.
So when I die, I want Broadway legends around me singing “Bye Bye Love”, and I want to be welcomed into Heaven by the big MC in the sky to the opening number from Cabaret, and maybe, when that is over, I can spend the rest of my days in Jazz Heaven, ah la Stardust Memories.

2 Comments:
Between this and the fact that you've been "riding the Vengabus," I'm really starting to worry about you, man.
-Babs
Come on Babs, you like the Vengaboys too. I mean how could you not? It's like alcohal. Remember, the first step to fixing the problem is admitting it. This is the cone of silence, so only you, me, and all the other ten people who actually read this thing will know.
Post a Comment
<< Home