Wine and Cheese
So I saw the Gates in Central Park on Saturday, because I was in New York to visit some friends. I have to tell you, I really don’t get the hype. People came from all over the country to see a bunch of orange Gates. They are just Gates people. That’s it! There really isn’t anything special about them other than where they are, and where they are does not need anything added to it. Central Park is one of the best pieces of art in the world. Why mess with perfection?
I am really tired of these self-important debutant wine and cheese fuckers. They pass as loving art and knowing about it, but all they know about is themselves. Art is beautiful because the best thing that we all have to offer someone else is a bit of ourselves, and art, at its best, is a gift of ourselves. There isn’t anything wrong with not sending a message and just making something that is beautiful, mind you, but I looked at the Gates and felt, I don’t know, blah.
I chalk the Gates up to yet another artist saying, “Hey, look at me and look at what I can do.” I hate that. The whole look at me patting myself on the back self-aggrandizing bullshit just irks me. It isn’t what art should be about. And then there are the critics and the people who know what’s “in” who sit around and do a circle jerk over this stuff, salivating over how smart they think they are and how big they think that their collective artistic penis is. Then, the SCLM, being lazy, does a whole bunch of stories about the wonders of art, and they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Then they poison our society with the idea that art is shallow and pretentious. They make people think that art is only for the elite, the people who don’t need to work and can spend millions expressing themselves.
Art can change the world. It can bring people together, in a profound way, not just in a capitalist, bring Lemming-esque tourists shoulder to shoulder to Central Park kind of way. It can break through the walls that we all set for ourselves, the walls of country, economics, knowledge, social status, race, sex, religion, whatever. We can see the beauty in it all and be captured by it and then be intrigued to ask questions that we would never ask before. We can go to a world that we would never visit, because it is so “different”, and we can let the art take us there, both figuratively and literally. It will not take us there if it isn’t taken seriously, and I think that this whole Gates hoopla is a roadblock in our travels.

4 Comments:
Dude I had no idea you were so into art. I love art, but am not very sophisticated when it comes to art. That's what I love about it though. Art has so much to do with personality that we can all relate through it because the kind of art we like has so much to say about us as people.
I have this friend in Orlando who is a Christian artist and I wish you could see some of his stuff. He doesn't necessarily produce Christian art, but his inspiration definitely comes from the almight. It is so thought provoking and just flat out beautiful. He has a series he just finished on the days of creation and it is really, really neat. I'll try to get some pics of them and post them on SLD.
Thanks for your post.
I'm more into theatre, music, and film than I am into the other arts, but I really do love it. I think the reason that I am not into the other arts is the wine and cheeze croud.
Art can change the world. It can bring people together, in a profound way, not just in a capitalist, bring Lemming-esque tourists shoulder to shoulder to Central Park kind of way.and yet, it's not pretentious to dismiss the "coming together" in Central Park as less authentic than some other art moment? because people who flock to, I guess, Dali and stand shoulder to shoulder without interacting are having a more legitimate experience?
love the gates or hate them. fine.
but setting up an alternative (if undefined) standard of "in" just so that you can diss somebody else's enthusiasm achieves nothing and impresses nobody. dismissing free public art as "capitalist" just makes you look silly. and so on...
ACM: I was referring to the hoopla more than the gates themselves. They were OK. They didn't shock the world. They didn't live up to the hype.
And I love coming together in Central Park. That's why I love seeing people dance on Roller Skates, because people of all different backgrounds come together to have fun. Central Park was so crowded that everyone was just trying to stay out of each other’s way. There really was no open for interaction or "coming together".
And Dali will have the same effect. It will be too crowded and no one will talk. I don’t know much about his Art, but I am sure that it will at least make me ask questions that I didn’t ask before. It will take me to another world. The Gates, are, at best, a pretty thing, and I just didn’t really see them as that pretty.
Why do I dismiss the Gates as Capitalist? Well, because they are. You know how much money the city made from those things? Do you think that the city would have let them do such a thing to Central Park if it didn’t make the city money? There isn’t anything wrong with that, but I think that our standards of coming together should be a little higher than that to make such a big hype, don’t you?
A quick question. Did you go to the park to see the Gates?
Post a Comment
<< Home